Week 03: Oedipus Rex
Tuesday: Reading the Text
Today, we worked on reading the first section of the play. Block E has finished the first section, and Block G is nearly there.
Assignment: Reading journals are due Thursday. 9 entries for full credit.
Thursday: Reading the Text
Today we will work on reading the second section of the play.
You read in small groups with these things in mind:
- Work on the following skills-
- Praphrasing the text
- Making connections
- Answer the embedded questions as you read to check for understanding
- Focus on characterization-
- How are the main characters portrayed in this section?
- Look for evidence: what they say about themselves; what others day about them; what their actions show; and what the chorus reveals
- Think about these questions for the future-
- How does Oedipus start to “fall from grace”?
- How are events leading up to/contributing to Oedipus’s understanding of the situation?
Assignment: Complete the reading of the second section of the play at home based on what was covered in class today. Pages 285-300. You should be ready to start page 301 on Monday.